An extensive and popular tool for editing various subtitle formats:
Aegisub is a free, cross-platform, and open source tool for creating and modifying subtitles. Aegisub features a built-in real-time video preview of the subtitles, along with tools for timing them to audio and manipulating their appearance. Create new subtitle or edit existing subtitle.
You can export the subtitle with filter options transform framerate and fix styles. You can also include font or graphical attachments
Aegisub has grown into a fully fledged, highly customizable subtitle editor.
Aegisub can edit subtitle files and open SRT files.Aegisub features and highlights:
- Importing non-Unicode subtitles from over 30 different character encoding, including Shift_JIS, allowing you to resume work on any subtitles regardless of your system locale settings
- Loading advanced Substation Alpha (.ass), Substation Alpha (.ssa), Subrip (.srt) and * Plain-Text (.txt) (with actor data) subtitle formats
- Full tag conversion from SRT to ASS
- Multiple Undo levels
- Powerful Automation module using the Lua scripting language to create advanced karaoke effects (including per-syllable effects, similar to AssCalc) - or any other kind of subtitles manipulation
- Syntax highlighting
- Fonts collector to collect all fonts used in a script into a folder
- Opening of videos via Avisynth for true preview of subtitles using VSFilter, in any format supported by DirectShow
- Aspect ratio overriding for anamorphic videos
- Variable Frame Rate videos via time-codes file (v1 and v2), including exporting processed times for hard-subbing
- Display of video coordinates under mouse and simple auto positioning support
- Audio mode which allows you to open files in any format that your DirectShow can decode, including Wave, mp3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AC3 and others
- Powerful audio timing and playback mode, including full support for karaoke manipulation
- Functions and hot-keys easily synchronizing audio/video and subtitles
- Time shifting and manipulation by timestamps or frame numbers (once video or time-codes are loaded)
- Advanced find and replace with support for Regular Expressions
- Cut/Copy/Paste subtitles via plain-text format, so it can be pasted in any plain-text editor
- Translation assistant to easily translate subtitles to another language
- Styling assistant to quickly pick styles for each line in subtitles
- Styles manager that allows you to categorize subtitles styles, to make working on several projects painless
- Keyframe navigation for fast seeking to scene boundaries
- Several subtitles manipulation macros, such as making timing continuous or recombining double lines after OCR
- Highlighting of subtitles that are visible on current video frame, and a button to select those
- Preview subtitle changes immediately by pressing Ctrl Enter
- Shortcut buttons to set text as bold, italic, underline, strikeout, change font or any of the 4 colors
- Extensive manual with detailed instructions and tutorials for typesetting and program usage
Aegisub is licensed as Freeware for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system / platform from audio and video editors without restrictions. Aegisub 3.2.2 is available to all software users as a free download (Freeware).
This subtitle editor software is filed under:
- Aegisub Download
- Freeware Audio and Video Editors
- Open source and GPL software
- Major release: Aegisub 3.2
Compatibility with this subtitle editor software may vary, but will generally run fine under Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP on either a 32-bit or 64-bit setup. A separate x64 version may be available from Aegisub Project.
Page maintained by Fernando Ortega.